2 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
4 Tablespoons Butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 1/4 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Milk
2 Cups Mascarpone Cheese
1/3 Cups Superfine Sugar
1 Pound Hulled Strawberries
Finely Grated Rind of One Orange
Fresh Mint Leaves, to Garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly grease an 8-inch cake pan.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add the butter, and rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add the sugar. Stir in enough of the milk to form a soft but smooth batter. Gently push the batter evenly into the prepared cake pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20minutes, until risen, firm to the touch, and golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to let cool completely.
3. To make the topping, beat together the milk and mascarpone cheese with the sugar in a bowl until smooth and fluffy.
4. Spread the Mascarpone mixture over the cake and pile the strawberries on top. From a height, sprinkle the fresh mint leaves, and grated orange rind, and serve.
5. Optional: If you really want to
knock people out knock people’s socks off, give the cake a final dust of icing sugar. Good job.